Wednesday, February 15, 2006

Give us your scared, your long hairs on the lam, yearning for self preservation

I am old enough - barely - to have opposed the War in Vietnam and I am still not prepared to say I was wrong (although I will admit that, at 14, I knew far less than I thought I did). War is a grave matter and, in Vietnam, I don't know that the stakes were high enough. I won't even call everyone who ran to Canada cowards.

But I can't quite get behind the idea of a Canadian monument to draft resisters. I can't believe that George McGovern, a man who, as misguided as may have been, was nevertheless the nominee of a major political party to become the most powerful man in the world would think it is a good idea to speak at the dedication of such a monument. I shouldn't be surprised, but I am, that the Canadians want to be known as the world's hiding place.

(Hat tip: W. Thomas Smith, Jr.)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nice find, Rick.

Anonymous said...

I wonder if this is a way to protest the Iraq war or just a thumb in the eye to show how much better they think they are? Or both.