Sunday, February 05, 2006

Reich gets ripped

As I expected, my fellow community columnist Dale Reich got ripped by the readers for his column suggesting that there might be some connection between atheism and immorality. Dale led with his chin and was, I think, mistaken in suggesting that no one can be good without God. Some people are.

But its an entirely different matter to say that whether a society believes in God and what kind of God it believes in do not matter. I was struck by one reader who writes "[a]n atheist simply derives his ethos from that most beautiful and powerful trinity of empirical evidence, reason and logic ...." How anyone can be optimistic about that after a variety of materialist ideologies - all based on empirical evidence, reason and logic - turned the twentieth century into a charnel house is beyond me.

No comments: