Tuesday, February 21, 2006

We have all been here before ...

Eugene Kane has once again provided fodder for his conservative critics by writing a column in which he says that he can now watch the Olympics because he has a "brother" to root for in speedskater Shani Davis. He adds fuel to the fire by suggesting, although not really trying to establish, that Davis' conflict with his teammates over his failure to participate in a team event and his less than winning public persona are the products of racism.

My brothers and sisters on the right side of the Cheddarsphere will be all over him. (I think my wife has already sent an e-mail.) Kane's supporters in the newsroom will shake their heads over all the "nasty" e-mails that he gets (and I am sure that some of them will be vile).

Why does he do it? Because he can. Why do we do it? Because we must. But I'm ready for a new act; something that Kane is quite capable of. This one has gotten old.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Agreed. Eugene is better than the simplistic race-baiter he so often seems.

But, I suppose he knows where his bread is buttered.